The Supplier Development Engineer will utilize technical process expertise in manufacturing processes, tooling, and process development, to drive the successful launch of components with the supply base; drive continuous improvement projects such as lean manufacturing, scrap reduction, design improvements, and capability improvements in the assigned component commodities.
Recommend and lead technical product improvements to reduce risk, potential defect opportunities, supply constraints and improve cost competitiveness with the supply base.
- Provide technical expertise and leadership to sourcing and development of suppliers with respect to technology, performance, quality, delivery and cost.
- Assist with new product launch by working with suppliers to ensure the supplying companies systems, process and build capabilities meet the design intent of the customer and are compliant with the end customers needs.
- Improve supplier's performance by conducting workshops at supplier locations, providing technical assistance in developing a quality system or other technical support as required.
- Lead process development or process validations at the suppliers.
- Drive error proofing culture and maintenance in suppliers.
- Analyze supplier quality & delivery metrics to identify trends and pinpoint systemic performance gaps and root causes.
- Conduct benchmarking studies to determine best practices/designs and future trends.
- Must work and interact effectively and professionally with and for others throughout various levels of the global organization.
- Must strictly adhere to safety requirements.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Must maintain company quality and quantity standards.
- Must have effective communication skills and ability to work in a collaborative and independent work situations and environments with
- Ability to remain calm and receptive in fast paced situations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Biomedical, Industrial, Material Science Engineering, or related field.
- 7-10+ years of Supplier Development or equivalent work experience
- Experienced in process development and process validation
- Proficient in MS Office applications, especially Excel and Word
- Experienced with manufacturing and inspection of raw materials, injection molding, extrusion and bonding
- Accomplished in GD&T for reading and interpreting drawings for measurement techniques
- Knowledge of quality tools (SPC, Lean, Six Sigma)
- Works under general office environmental conditions.
- Sitting for extended periods, utilizes close visual acuity for working with computers, equipment, etc.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, and communicate.
- Travel up to 30%.