In this role, you will support the metrology laboratory in the development, maintenance, and continuous improvement of inspection strategies and programs. You will also provide support to Operations, Production Engineering, and New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineering functions in development of appropriate measurement methods, including implementing new methods, analyzing existing measurement methods, and executing training as required.
Identify those items that are minimally required to perform the essential duties of the role.
These are not required to perform the basic functions of the role
Formal education (i.e. High School Diploma, Bachelor’s degree, formal certification)
· A Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, science, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence.
· Specialized courses or training in GD&T and the use of Nikon CMM Manager, Nikon Vision Measurement Scopes, Keyence Instant Measurement System, and/ or Prolink.
Type or number of years directly related work experience
· 4+ years of engineering and/ or operational experience in closely related area/ discipline.
Commonly known principles required for this field of work. For example, HVAC certifications, generally accepted accounting principles
· Knowledge and experience with 2D drawings and 3D CAD models, including interpretation of Datums (PTC Creo is used in house).
· Working knowledge of GD&T on 2D drawings/ prints.
· Experience using and programming one or more of these: Nikon CMM Manager, Nikon Vision Measurement Scopes, Keyence Instant Measurement System, Prolink.
· Working knowledge and experience in performing MSA, including Gauge R&R studies.
· Experience in statistical analysis, including analysis typically performed as part of an MSA program.
· 4+ years of experience programming one or more of these: Nikon CMM Manager, Nikon Vision Measurement Scopes, Keyence Instant Measurement System, Prolink.
· Experience with CT scanning.
· Significant experience in performing and analyzing MSA.
· Knowledge and experience in Lean Six Sigma, and support of these programs/ activities.
Measurable learnings (i.e. can perform intermediate Excel and Word functions, advanced knowledge of research protocols)
· Proficient with Excel and Word.
· Working knowledge of Minitab or similar statistical software package.
· Technical writing skills.
· Proficient in use of Minitab or similar statistical software package as it relates to MSA/ Gauge R&R analysis.
· Experienced in writing technical reports.
E: Duties and Responsibilities (denote essential functions with an asterisk in the left column)
Approximate percent of time spent performing this in an average work week
Description of Duty
Generally, do not include a job duty if it is less than 5% work time of a typical week (unless it is an essential job function).
- Generate and validate metrology systems, including the evaluation of new measurement technologies.
- Steer robust metrology strategy during the NPI and New Tooling Qualification (NTQ) process, including identification and development of appropriate measurement methods. Guide functional GD&T inspection for NPI and NTQs.
- Create, maintain, and where necessary, optimize inspection processes (such as motivated by continuous improvement or corrective action functions), working with Operations/ Production Engineering/ NPI Engineering to understand requirements.
- Write programs to execute dimensional evaluation of manufactured components and production tooling using a CMM (Nikon CMM Manager) and Vision Inspection Systems (Nikon Vision Measurement Scopes and Keyence Instant Measurement System).
- Create Prolink Routines to support data acquisition and maintenance.
- Dimensionally, visually, and functionally evaluate product and measurement data from capability studies, design of experiments, material evaluation, machine and process qualifications, etc., using Minitab for statistical analysis. Document results in clear and accurate technical reports.
- Conduct and document results of Measurement System Analysis, and use this analysis to inform decisions about measurement method recommendations.
- Perform inspections on manufactured components, tooling, or for non-standard metrology requests.