The Lead Research Engineer applies technical and subject matter expertise to conduct research activities pertaining to user needs identification, concept ideation, and technical feasibility. This role is part of a front-end innovation team responsible for generating new solutions for the Vascular Division by investigating and applying emerging technologies to future product roadmaps. This role is responsible for project management activities and managing interactions with internal and external stakeholders, in addition to technical responsibilities such as performing written and experimental research, concept ideation, building preliminary prototypes, and designing test protocols. We are looking for self-motivated candidates with demonstrated experience in investigating complex clinical problems and leading a cross-functional project team through the idea development process.
This role is a hybrid position. Candidate must reside within 2 hours via car of the Bloomington or West Lafayette locations and is required to work onsite as needed per Manager expectations.
• Contribute to research activities in Vascular R&D as a subject matter expert in technical domains
• Lead large-scale or multiple research projects which may span across other R&D teams and/or functions with a high degree of independence
• Assume responsibility for conducting and coordinating research activities, applying advanced analytical skills required to solve complex problems, and developing evidence-based recommendations for future work
• Develop intellectual property strategies relevant to areas of work
• Identify and understand unmet clinical, market, technology and business needs through application of technical knowledge
• Formulate value propositions for new opportunities for innovation and portfolio expansion which may involve new therapeutic areas or markets
• Lead collaborative research activities within the team and with other functions to evaluate new technologies
• Contribute to the continuous improvement of practices and procedures which may involve other functions
• Act as a mentor to other personnel within the team; responsible for managing the delegation of work and review of project deliverables
• Must work and interact effectively and professionally with and for others throughout various levels of the global organization
• Must strictly adhere to safety requirements
• Must maintain regular and punctual attendance
• Must maintain company quality and quantity standards
• Must have effective oral, written and presentation communication skills
• Excellent problem solving skills and ability to work in collaborative and independent work situations and environments with minimal supervision
• Ability to remain calm and receptive in fast paced situations
• PhD in engineering or engineering technology with 4 years relevant experience; or
• MS degree in same with 5 years relevant experience; or
• BS degree in same with 7 years relevant experience
• Strong practical knolwedge of project management principles
• Works under general office environmental conditions.
• Sitting for extended periods, utilizes close visual acuity for working with computers, etc.
• Personal protective equipment including safety glasses, lab coat and gloves may be required in many areas associated with this position.