The 2023 Cook Inc. Internship position is a 12-week paid internship located in Vandergrift, PA. It is offered for a period extending from mid-May through mid-August (exact dates depend on school calendars.) This position includes 401(k) options, on-site cafeteria option, an assigned mentor, one-time housing stipend, capstone presentation, intern events, and more. All internships provide hands-on experience with meaningful projects in the Medical Device Manufacturing Industry.
Support the Cook Vandergrift (CVI) Lean Program development.
Depending on the project assigned the intern will lead and/or support the development and introduction of specific Lean Manufacturing tools to the manufacturing areas of Cook Medical Vandergrift with mentorship of one the Continuous Improvement team members. The intern may also contribute to the current manufacturing processes overall improvements via performing process analysis and identifying opportunities of improvement.
- Develop standards and templates to introduce specific Lean Manufacturing tools or concepts.
- Interact with line leaders and manufacturing supervisors in a daily basis to support their CI skills development and/or improvement events execution.
- Mapping of current manufacturing processes identifying their value-added and non-value-added activities, providing suggestion for improvements, and pursuing resources for implementation.
- Creating of training material.
- Support to CI training delivery.
- Development and introduction of a Kamishibai Board to the Cook Medical Vandergrift leadership team.
- Development and introduction of Problem-Solving tools templates (PDCA, A3 and/or 8D).
- Support the design and implementation of Daily Management Board to areas out of the production floor.
- Create and distribute OPL (One Point Lessons) around Lean Manufacturing and Mfg Processes vocabularies. Train line leaders and Mfg supervisors capacitating them to share the concept with their teams.
- Perform time-studies on the new Continuous Flow Lines recently implemented, or current batch production.
- Lead or support Value Stream Mapping events.
- Define and implement standards of the overall Work Area Signage on Manufacturing floors.
- Candidates should be students entering their Junior or Senior years the following Fall Semester. Graduate students are also eligible
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- All candidates must provide proof of enrollment (including pre-registration certification for the following fall) for consideration
- Manufacturing / Industrial or Process Engineering student
- Understanding of general manufacturing processes principles and indicators.
- Ability to use office package (word, excel and power point)
- Good communicator
- Understanding of basic Lean Manufacturing tools and principles (such as 6S, Daily Management, people/customer centric culture, wastes, value-added, Kaizen)
- Preferrable: Yellow Belt or Green Belt certified, or previous experience applying Lean tools and concepts in a manufacturing environment.