The primary purpose of the Research and Development Engineer at Cook Winston-Salem is to design, test and technically document the feasibility, construction and production process of new and/or changed medical products.
• Design new product ideas as assigned by VP of Engineering
• Build and test new product prototypes
• Document the final product design
• Assist in writing design and specification documentation for FDA application
• Initiate and oversee the pre-production run of new products
• Plan the ongoing production of the product
• Consult with Production personnel for device changes/updates as necessary
• Maintain a design file for each new product and turn that file over at product completion for permanent records
• Call on vendors to assess raw materials
• Call on physicians to discuss product ideas or evaluations
• Attend various trade shows to source raw materials or to attend Company exhibitions
- Minimum 4 year degree in Engineering/Technology.
- Ability to work independently and remain self-motivated.
- Experience and understanding of the validation process.
- Ability to travel 25% of the time.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven problem solving skills.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Good manual dexterity.
- Approximately 75% of the time is spent in a normal office environment requiring sitting and moving around the building, or in a "clean" environment Production setting requiring protective clothing and safety glasses.
- Approximately 25% of the time is spent in travel to various hospitals, physicians’ offices and public places.
**Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Cook does not intend to provide sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) of this employment position.**
“We are proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer for minorities, women, protected veterans, disabled individuals, and any other protected class.”
Cook will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state/province and local law.